Saturday, July 18, 2015

Just Breathe

 There is an old proverb that states, "Life is in the breath. He who half breathes half lives."
  • The bible emphasizes the importance of breath and how it gives life. Genesis 2:7 then the LORD God formed the man of dust from the ground and breathed into his nostrils the breath of life, and the man became a living creature.
  • Ezekiel 37:5 Thus says the Lord GOD to these bones: Behold, I will cause breath to enter you, and you shall live.
  • And my most favorite is 2 Timothy 3:16 All Scripture is breathed out by God and profitable for teaching, for reproof, for correction, and for training in righteousness,
These passages made me take more notice of my own breathing patterns physically. Often times, fear, doubt and anxiety are exemplified in our bodies by interrupted, narrowed, short breaths. When I noticed that I was guilty of this physiological phenomenon in my own life I sought to change it. For the past week I've been deliberately taking purposeful, deep, substantial breaths. When I'm driving, getting dressed, working, you name it--I've been making an effort to slow down my breathing pattern. As a result, I've found myself feeling more courageous and confident!

After making this a priority and seeing the positive results, I considered how this exercise would translate spiritually.

In my spiritual life, I sometimes find myself taking short, narrow breaths from God's word when I'm worried or troubled. I will still read His word, but I won't inhale (meditate) on it in a healthy manner. My sophomoric attempts at connecting with God when I'm full of anxiety are erratic at best. The bible says God's word is God's breath. Considering the impact God's breath had in the previously mentioned examples, it would make sense for me to hook myself up to Heaven's CPAP machine every chance that I got.

Instead of taking quick hits of His awesomeness, I vow to make time to read and meditate on His essence in order to build my divine diaphragm. Just like my physical well-being is dependent upon how intentional I am with my breathing patterns, so does my spiritual life.

Inhale the good, exhale the bad--and repeat.

Quote: “Feelings come and go like clouds in a windy sky. Conscious breathing is my anchor.” ― Thích Nhất Hạnh

Meditation Scripture: Job 33:4 The Spirit of God hath made me, And the breath of the Almighty giveth me life.

No comments:

Post a Comment