Thursday, June 16, 2011

Getting To Know You

I went to a funeral today. The body laying in the casket was lifeless and still. This was nothing like the person I remembered from a week prior. The young man laying there was not the spirit that I had become acquainted with in times past. This illustration is one that shows the various parts that comprises a person's being. We are not in entirety all flesh or all spirit or all soul. In His infinite wisdom, God created His first fruits as all three!

I've heard some say “I know you Lia...” What are you saying really? You may very well know that I'm an African American woman (in body) or that I work as a Sunday School teacher (in spirit) but friends, the soul is much deeper. Yes, my co-workers know me to be polite, funny and full of creative ideas. They know I love to organize and they know I make it my mission to smile! Those same people can not accurately claim to “know me” however, because the me that God has molded me to be is much deeper. The public persona that I present is one of consciousness and confidence. The more private persona that I share with a select few is comprised of mostly ambivalent stagnation. Although both parts of the picture make me who I am; it's when you look much deeper you'll find that there's more than meets the eye.

You see, in every individual, there is an on the surface, “easy-to-read” person and then a more indepth, “takes work to get to know” person. I'm saddened that society as a whole has settled for the surface and given up on going further. In this age of 'instant everything' our family members (by both blood and new birth) are losing touch with each other and missing out on the weighter matters of each others lives.

*Most people know that I love to talk about the word of God; very few are aware that I struggle with speaking candidly concerning myself.
*Most people know that I want to become a physical therapist in the near future; very few are aware that at times my insecurities threaten my pending goals.

In this day and time, I dare to challenge Christians to strive for more. When we take the time to go much deeper, we find out the real needs of our family and are better able to assist. When we care enough to gomuch deeper, we confront the issues of social isolation and can offer solutions that are more spiritual than they are superficial.

If we're taking shortcuts with our physical family's feelings, I can only imagine what we're doing to God. Yes, we know what He did for Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob-But deep down, do we KNOW HIM? Of course we've heard how He bore Jesus from a virgin womb-But deep down, do we KNOW HIM? Sure we know that He's the God who delivered the Israelite s time and time again-But deep down, do we KNOW HIM?

Wisdom is the principle thing. 
Proverbs 4:7 She continues to cry out in the streets. Will you heed her voice?

May God continue to bless and keep you for as long as you will allow Him access.

Love InDeed,
Lia

No comments:

Post a Comment